The Latest and Greatest from the Global Pet Expo
The 2019 Global Pet Expo shined a light on some of the most interesting trends in pet ownership and pet care marketing. Here’s what we learned.
If you want to keep your finger on the pulse of what’s happening in the world of pets, the Global Pet Expo is a required stop. Much as the famed CES shines a spotlight on the latest consumer electronics offerings, this expo offers a window into the newest trends and products within the pet industry. If you’re in the pet business — or the pet care marketing business — it’s a vitally important date on the calendar.
So what did we learn from this year’s “petpreneur” extravaganza? Let’s take a look at the latest products and trends about to capture the imagination of pet lovers everywhere.
What pet owners will be buying this year and beyond
The Global Pet Expo offers an early look at innovative new pet industry products, and this year was no exception. The multi-day expo featured hundreds of new products designed to address lingering problems within the pet care market.
Those products included:
- Leashes that attach to bicycles, allowing dog owners to “walk” their pets while cycling.
- Portable water bottles custom designed for a dog’s mouth that offer easy drinking during walks and hikes.
- Licking pads. These pads can be smeared with peanut butter or any other sticky substance and then used to divert a pet while nails are being trimmed or paws cleaned — a boon for anyone who has ever struggled with a pet who hates nail trimming.
- Recyclable and compostable bags for cleaning up doggy messes.
- Crash tested car carriers and harnesses (these operate much like a child safety seat).
- Tick removal devices that function much more effectively than simple tweezers.
- Catnip-infused crayons.
- Neon colored kitty litter.
- Backpacks designed for portable cat carrying.
Product displays are always a good barometer of what’s happening in the pet sector, both in terms of consumer offerings and overall trends.
Let’s take a closer look at the pet industry developments shaping 2019 and beyond.
What pet owners will see more of in the coming years
If you want to predict the future of pet care, simply counting booth types inside the Global Pet Expo offers a rough — but fairly accurate — yardstick. As you might expect, at this year’s event pet-focused CBD offerings were thick on the ground, as were boutique/specialty food and treat purveyors.
Additionally, the American Pet Products Association (the sponsor organization of the Global Pet Expo) compiled new research examining emerging trends within the pet industry. Among the most prominent trends cited are:
- Direct to consumer subscription boxes for pet owners.
- Pet food composed of human-grade ingredients.
- Ethically sourced and non-GMO pet food.
- More pets being kept in the classroom. This trend, which allows teachers to keep small pets for students, is being supported by grant money and charitable donations.
- Continued expansion of the backyard chicken movement. This practice is more widespread than many realize. According to U.S. Census data, 1% of homes raise backyard chickens and an additional 4% plan to begin doing so within four years.
By understanding the role new products and trends play within the industry, brands can perform more accurate audience analysis and create deeply compelling marketing messages for today’s pet owners.
Partnering with the right pet care marketing agency
If you want to get the most out of your pet care marketing, you need to stay current with evolving industry trends. You also need inspiring creative work, deep sector expertise and advanced technological tools.
Reach out to us today to learn more about what the right pet care marketing agency can do for you.Back to Articles