Well, it’s time for a new challenge: Generation Z. They’re kind of like Millennials, but just a little bit extra.
In just three years, the global population of Generation Z will outnumber Millennials, reaching a population of about 2.5 billion. In the United States, members of Generation Z now comprise 20% of the population and rising.
To be successful, marketers need to understand the shift that’s occurring. In order to do that, they need greater insight into the makeup, preferences, behaviors, and motivations of Generation Z, which is why partnering with a content marketing agency might be beneficial for you.
Personal appearance, immediacy, and the “Instagram Effect”
Generation Z is the first cohort to have never really known a world without the smartphone or social media. They’ve grown up in public, documenting their lives online. In this sense, they are part of a radical experiment, having no experience of the slower and more private analog world that existed before smartphones and social platforms.
A report compiled by Fung Global Retail & Technology draws some interesting conclusions about Generation Z, including the following:
- They attach great importance to personal appearance, having spent their lives being judged (and judging others) on social media.
- They spend more on leisure and lifestyle purchases (restaurants, travel, etc.) due to the competitive pressures of social media (also known as the “Instagram Effect).
- They are the most demanding and least patient generation in history, due to on-demand services such as Netflix, Postmates and Uber.
These three characteristics are, of course, of particular interest to content marketers. Members of Generation Z are extremely interested in products tied to appearance. They are hungry for experiences; their consumer spending habits are often tailored to the need to show social media audiences that they have fun, interesting, and meaningful lives.
They also have a craving for, and expectation of, immediacy. Because this generation has grown up in an environment where products and services appear at the push of a button, they’ve been conditioned to expect a fast response.
How a smart content marketing agency connects with Gen Z
Generation Z members spend around nine hours each day on their devices, scrolling through various feeds, posting content and socializing. In order to increase engagement, marketers should do the following:
- Rely on video and images rather than text.
- Create visually-striking content that stands out, with a clear call to action.
- Use an attention-grabbing approach that cuts through the clutter. Generation Z has grown up immersed in advertising, so it takes something novel to seize their attention.
- Understand the sensibility. Younger people document their lives on social media, if you want to understand what they think is funny or interesting, all you need to do is look.
- Don’t patronize. There’s nothing worse than a brand attempting to connect with young people by clumsily appropriating their humor or lexicon. When something like this lands, it can be very effective — but it can also backfire spectacularly if not executed well.
A content marketing agency is your best option
While we’ve been helping brands succeed for more than a decade, BIGEYE prides itself on being a young, energetic content marketing agency. We move fast and build data-driven content for our clients.
If you’d like to better understand the art and science of targeting Generation Z, don’t hesitate to contact us today.Back to Thinking